This week’s post was contributed by Aline Ayoub, of Aline Ayoub HR Consulting.
So far, we’ve discussed assessments in a broad context. However, Aline’s expertise is in psychometric assessments, which are more formal and what we typically consider assessments to be. Aline’s post doesn’t dwell on the specific types of assessment tools used, but rather describes the reasons you should consider using assessments as part of the hiring process.
Getting it Right the First Time
Small Business owners usually have limited budgets. At the same time, they’re not able to devote a lot of resources into their hiring process. Since you don’t hire in large volume, you may not have extensive experience in screening and evaluating candidates.
You need an efficient way to ensure you select the right candidates at the right place and the right time, without requiring a huge investment. Employment assessments can make the process easier and more reliable.
There Is More
Employee assessments can give you consistent, in-depth, and objective information about the people you interview. This includes the candidate’s:
- Fit with business culture
- Knowledge, skills, job performance, and developmental needs
- Preferred learning and communication style
- Integrity, reliability and work ethic, and attitude towards substance abuse
- Response to conflict, stress, and frustration
Information uncovered from assessments helps you rely less on gut instinct and make smarter people decisions.
- Selecting people most likely to succeed in a job
- Accelerating time for people to become fully productive in a new role
- Improving alignment and communication between managers and employees
- Reducing workforce conflict and improving employee satisfaction
- Maximizing each employee’s contribution to the organization
- Reducing employee absenteeism and turnover
- Reducing frequency and cost of theft
- Increasing sales performance and customer loyalty
- Enabling strategic workforce management and succession planning
- Increasing overall workforce capability, productivity, and agility
The average cost of a bad hiring decision can equal 30% of the individual’s first year potential earnings. Also, bad hiring decisions account for 30% of employee turnover in small businesses.
Employment assessments are a solution to your hiring nightmares. Are you convinced?
About Aline Ayoub
Aline has made a lifetime career in HR and has worked for major brands such as Hudson’s Bay Company, Loblaw’s and Sears Canada and founder of Aline Ayoub HR Consulting. She is an award winning coach and has been recognized by the Leadership Action Centre.
Aline is fully certified to administer Myers-Briggs personality style assessment tools and is a strategic business partner with Profile International, global employment assessment organization. She is an active member of Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA). Aline is an expert in helping small businesses recruit and hire the right people through a unique hiring process she has developed. Aline is fully bilingual in English and French.
You can contact her by email at email@example.com or by phone at 416-368-0720